The Great Solent Birdwatch
Thanks to everyone who’s taken part in this year’s Great Solent Birdwatch.
Don’t forget to submit your results through our special online form.
We’ll be publishing the results in the New Year – and don’t forget to take part again next year.
GSB21: 23 October to 31 October 2021
Every year we mark the arrival of the migratory birds which spend the winter on the Solent with the Great Solent Birdwatch. By taking part you’ll increase your knowledge of the coastal birds in your local area, help contribute valuable data and learn how to become more bird aware.
How to take part
- Read the information about this year’s event including our advice about keeping yourself safe during your watch.
- Choose a spot around the Solent coast to do your watch, making sure to check tide times. This must be a public access area, not private land.
- Spend up to one hour counting the number of birds that you see. Download our printable Great Solent Birdwatch recording record and check out our Meet the birds pages for bird identification help.
- Follow the Coastal Code: look out for birds, move away if they become alert, keep dogs alongside you and follow requests on signs.
- Fill in our online Great Solent Birdwatch form to send us the information you’ve collected.
You can also enter our Great Solent Birdwatch photography competition if you’ve taken any pictures during the week. Remember to use the hashtag #GSB2021 and share your #SurveySelfie on social media too!
Let us know if you’ve enjoyed taking part in the Great Solent Birdwatch and do get in contact if you encounter any problems during your watch.
Our Rangers will be hosting some pop-up events during the week – why not stop by and say hello! The schedule can be found below and take a look at our Event page for more details.
|Day||Date||Time||Location & Meeting Point|
|Saturday||23/10/2021||10:00 – 12:00||Yarmouth, Isle of Wight – Find us on the green South of the River Road Car Park|
|Tuesday||26/10/2021||09:30 – 11:30||Hill Head, Fareham – Find us on the grassy area East of Hill Head Sailing Club|
|11:00 -13:00||East Head, Chichester Harbour – Find us at the start of the spit near the hinge|
|10:30 – 12:30||Warsash, Fareham – Find us on the stretch of path between Passage Lane Carpark and Premier Universal Marina|
|Thursday||28/10/2021||13:00 – 15:00||Ryde, Isle of Wight – Find us on the promenade to the left hand side of the pier|
|10:00 – 12:00||Cams Bay, Fareham – Find us at the start of the Fareham Creek Trail, just South of Cams Water Car Park|
|13:30 – 15:30||Billy Line, Hayling Island – Find us by the Billy Line Car Park|
|Sunday||31/10/2021||10:00 – 12:00||CANCELLED DUE TO BAD WEATHER – Emsworth, Havant|