What data we gather
Bird Aware Solent gathers and uses certain information about individuals through our website and our engagement programmes. Personal data we collect from includes:
- questions, queries or feedback you leave, including your contact information such as your name and email address
- demographic information such as postcode, preferences and interests when you sign up to our emailed newsletter
- website usage data
- information you provide when you take part in Bird Aware Solent events and activities including contact information such as your name, address and email address
- how you use our emails – for example whether you open them and which links you click on.
How we use this data
Collecting this data helps us understand what you are looking for from Bird Aware Solent, enabling us to provide better services and information. Specifically, we may use data:
- to respond to any feedback or requests you send us, if you’ve asked us to
- to improve our services and information
- to send you emailed information to which you have subscribed
Controlling information about you
Your data will not be shared with third parties other than with Bird Aware Solent’s partner organisations for Performance of Public Interest tasks. We will not sell or rent your data to third parties or share your data with third parties for marketing purposes.
We will share your data if we are required to do so by law – for example, by court order, or to prevent fraud or other crime.
If you have agreed to us using your personal information to send our newsletter, you may change your mind at any time by clicking ‘unsubscribe’ on one of our email communications or by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org. When you subscribe to our newsletter, we will share your details with third party companies SAP and AWS, who are acting on our instructions and under contract, to send out news and information by email.
How long we keep your data
We will only retain your personal data for as long as it is needed for the purposes set out above and for as long as the law requires us to. Data will be retained for a maximum period of seven years from the date of the enquiry or booking, or, if you have provided us with your details for the newsletter, until you unsubscribe. Information concerning agreements for sharing copyright images will be retained until the agreements are withdrawn. The legal basis for our use of this information is Performance of a Public Interest task.
We will hold your information securely. To prevent unauthorised disclosure or access to your information, we have implemented strong physical and electronic security safeguards.
Any personal information we hold about you is stored and processed under our data protection policy, in line with General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) 2018.
Links from our site
Our websites may contain links to other websites. Please note that we have no control of websites outside Bird Aware Solent’s website. If you provide information to a website to which we link, we are not responsible for its protection and privacy.
Cookies and how we use them
A cookie is a small file placed on your computer’s hard drive. It enables our websites to identify your computer as you view different pages on our websites. Cookies allow websites and applications to store your preferences in order to present content, options or functions that are specific to you. They also enable us to see information like how many people use the website and what pages they tend to visit. Cookies do not provide us with access to your computer or any information about you, other than that which you choose to share with us.
- Analyse our web traffic using an analytics package. Aggregated usage data helps us improve website structure, design, content and functions.
- Store information about your preferences. Websites can then present you with information you will find more relevant and interesting.
- To recognise when you return to our websites. We may show your relevant content, or provide functionality you used previously.
Last updated 13 October 2021